There’s nothing like a good cold soup in the summer. My mom’s version of tomato-based gazpacho is wonderful. We like it so much that we bring a large jar along on road trips. It’s like salad in a soup. This Mango Gazpacho is like mango salsa transformed into soup. It’s a combination of sweet, spicy and crunchy, with a summery aroma.
Mango Gazpacho Ingredients:
- 2 c diced fresh mango, small yellow (3 mangoes)
- 2 c orange juice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 3 T fresh lime juice (1 lime)
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley (or can use cilantro or basil)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Blend mangoes, orange juice and oil in a blender or food processor until puréed.
Add remaining ingredients to purée. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Thanks to Sonia Ribaux, of Clicking 50, for suggesting this recipe from allrecipes. Her comment: “This is one of my favourite recipes to make in the summer, especially when it’s this hot. It’s sweet and picante and everyone I’ve served it to loves it (at least that’s what they say).“
- You can use store-bought orange juice, but these freshly squeezed oranges were outstanding in flavour.
- For our main dish, my son whipped up Food.com’s Baked Breaded Cod, using half the mayonnaise called for, and it was outstanding. Homemade breadcrumbs from frozen, left-over onion bread. Mmmmmm.
- And now, for the next contest: Either you subscribe to recipe2recipe or if you’ve already subscribed, you get a friend to sign-up. You will then be eligible to win your very own set of Jittery Cook grocery bags. Of course your recipe suggestions are always welcome.
- Healthy soups: Spicy Watermelon Gazpacho (thismamacooks.com)
- Mango-Jalapeño Gazpacho Shots (beautifulmemorablefood.wordpress.com)
- Chilled Mango Soup (ilovesoup.net)
- Strawberry gazpacho (fiveandspice.wordpress.com)
- Gazpacho Soup (persephonemagazine.com)
- 7 (Slimming) Cold Soups for Hot Summer Nights (self.com)
- Gazpacho (foodcomas.com)
- Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Gazpacho (06.06.12) (fox13now.com)